Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Urban Oral History

When I was searching for a Klong Toey map to send to a visiting client from Singapore, I came across this little article on night entertainment venues in the Klong Toey port area of Bangkok. It has a historical map also. This is not a subject that I would normally be looking for, so I was surprised.

It's basically oral history combined with some photos.

The same approach could be taken for different kinds of urban geography in Yangon from the U Nu era. The reminiscences plus photographs of people in their 60's and 70's could be used. Members of Anglo-Burmese clubs in London or Australia might be one source of information.

The political satire that U Nu wrote before the 1961 election refers to an inerior minister meeting his mistress in Ali Mula Yakwet which seemed to have sinister significance. I made some inquiries and it turns out that this was an area near Bazun-taung (50th street).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home